How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: UK Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  solicitor
Type Your UK Employment Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

1. We are a 501 c3 non-profit religious organization in US. 2.

This answer was rated:

1. We are a 501 c3 non-profit religious organization in US.
2. A Canadian citizen in Britain wants to join our ministry as a campus missionary doing campus evangelism at Cambridge University, UK.
3. Our organization is not registered in UK and has no branch office in Britain.
4. This person will raise funds in Canada for his salary and ministry expenses
5. The fund raised in Canada will be collected by a local church or an organization and then transfer to our organization in US.
6. This Canadian has no US green card or working visa.
7. We will hire him as an foreign independent contractor stationed in UK
8. Do we, my organization and/or this person, need to file any application in Britain for hiring him as an independent contractor?

The person will require a proper UK visa to work in the UK as a minister of religion unless he has UK residency or UK or EU nationality.

See here for further details

He will also need to register as a self employed person with the UK tax authorities.
See here:

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the information.


Besides for him to register as a self employed person, for our organization in US, do we have to register with any UK authorities to hire a UK resident as an independent contractor?

No you don't need to register as you don't have a UK presence as such.

Please leave feedback
UKSolicitorJA and other UK Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you