How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: UK Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 48201
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your UK Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi there Ben, I am based and domiciled in the UK. We have

Customer Question

Hi there Ben,

I am based and domiciled in the UK. We have an office / branch in London. My employment contract states that I am employed under Californian Law.

My question is could I be 'let go' under U.S law or would they have to follow correct UK redundancy procedures and UK Employment Law?

Many Thanks

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 years ago.

Ben Jones : Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Whilst you may be employed by a US company and your contract may be governed by US law, you may still get protection under UK legislation. This is because you are working in the UK and as such may have sufficient employment links to claim under UK laws. There is a good detailed note on the law in these and similar situations which you can read here: Your case is described on page 3: "Individuals who are working in GB, having been posted or transferred to the UK by an overseas company. A recent EAT ruling suggests that tribunals would agree to hear claims from such employees, even if the respondent company is based outside GB"
Ben Jones : I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating - your question will not close and I can continue providing further advice if necessary. Thank you