How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny McKenzie Your Own Question
Jenny McKenzie
Jenny McKenzie,
Category: UK Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 6307
Experience:  10 Years of experience in Employment Law and HR
Type Your UK Employment Law Question Here...
Jenny McKenzie is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, Ive been working as a self-employed domestic cleaner

This answer was rated:

I've been working as a self-employed domestic cleaner for the last 6 years.
I just found that I'm pregnant. I will be a single mum. I assume I should stop working after 3-4months and I wonder can I ask somewhere for support?
Hello and welcome to Just Answer, what kind of information are you seeking? Is it whether you are entitled to maternity pay?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes! I am concern about money. And as a self employed I was wondering who's going to pay
Hello as a self employed worker you are likely to be entitled to Maternity Allowance. This is payable by the government if you earn over £30 per week.

The link above provides all of the information you need about Maternity Allowance. You will have to complete a form MA1 at your job centre and they will process it for you.

You may be entitled to additional benefits and they should be able to tell you about that when you complete the form.

All the best for your pregnancy.

If you have any further questions please ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would give positive rating.

Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I would like to ask you further details about maternity allowance.
Does it matter how much taxes I've paid for the previous tax year or the allowance a fixed benefit?
Hi the rules are that you must have worked for 26 weeks in the 66 week period ending the week you are expected to have the baby.

You must earn at least £30 per week and you must have paid contributions before the end of the second tax year in which they are due.

HMRC suggest you contact your local Job Centre Plus to ask them to check if you are unsure about this.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you!
For how many weeks am I entitled to a maternity allowance as a self employed?
Hello it is paid for 39 weeks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you!
Does it matter the amount of taxes I've paid for the amount of money I'll get paid for 39 weeks?
Hello, it is only the Job Centre that will be able to confirm the position on whether you have paid enough contributions to be eligible. If you have not then you may be able to pay them in the weeks leading to your maternity period.

I would suggest you go to your Job centre plus to find out the exact position on this.

I would be grateful if you would give my answer a positive rating.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think you didn't get my question.
Please assume that I have paid enough contributions. So am I gonna get the same amount of money if I paid £10000 taxes last year and or if I've paid £40000 taxes for the last year?
If you have paid your contributions the tax you have paid will not impact on the amount of money you will receive.
Jenny McKenzie and other UK Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you