Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

if I am summons to appear in court as a witness can my employer

if I am summons to appear in court as a witness can my employer deduct my wages or make me work back the time I had off of work

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Before proceeding please note that as I am a practising solicitor, I am often in and out of meetings, travelling between clients or even at court when I pick your question up. This may even occur at weekends. Therefore, I apologise in advance but there may be a delay in getting back to you and providing my advice. Please be patient and I will respond as soon as I can. You do not have to wait here and you will receive an email when I have responded. For now please let me know how long you have worked there.

Ben Jones :

Could you explain your circumstances a bit more?

Customer:

the case is regarding custardy of my grand daughter

Ben Jones :

ok so nothing to do with a court case that involves your employer?

Customer:

no

Ben Jones :

Is there a policy that deals with such absences from work?

Customer:

I don't know, but I have been told by my manager that I will have to either pay back the time or have the time off without pay. if he is correct is there a form I can get from the court to claim for loss of earnings like you can if you are on jury service?

Customer:

I have been employed for 12 years

Ben Jones :

As this is an entirely personal matter any time you want to take off will have to be taken either as annual leave, unpaid leave, or be given off by the employer on the agreement that you will make up the time at a later stage. This is not the same as jury service so you cannot expect to be given the time off at all and there is a possibility that the employer can even refuse you to take this time off. However, if they agree to let you have it off then it will be under one of the above-mentioned circumstances.

Customer:

thank you very much. you have been most helpful. I have no problem doing any of the afore mentioned, I just wanted to make sure of the facts.

Ben Jones :

My pleasure. Please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service I have provided you with as that is an important part of our process. Thank you