How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: UK Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  solicitor
Type Your UK Employment Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I signed an agreement with my old employer to pay back

This answer was rated:

Hi, I signed an agreement with my old employer to pay back training costs if I left, the costs would be taken out of my final salary and the shortfall repayed by me over the following 3 months. There was a shortfall but they have withheld my income tax to cover the shortfall, this was not agreed to, I am now paying back the income tax to the HMRC, can my old employer do this or is it an unlawful deduction from wages?

This was not what was agreed and it is an unlawful deduction from wages.

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA and other UK Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They informed me that I had had a tax refund when clearly not, is it against the law for them to withhold tax like this?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.