How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: UK Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  solicitor
Type Your UK Employment Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I resigned from my job at the beginning of December last year.

This answer was rated:

I resigned from my job at the beginning of December last year. I had a company car and handed the car back to the company 21st December. My last working day was the 4th Jan but I took leave owed to me until then. I have just received a letter from the company stating that they are deducting £400 from my final salary as there are scratches on my car which they have just noticed. I did not damage the car in any way and am not happy about this. There is a clause in my contract which says they can make deduction is I damage company property but I don't believe I did. Where can I go from here?

Ben Jones :

Hello and thank you for your question, which I will be happy to assist you with. Please let me know how long you had worked there?


I worked there since November 2008

Ben Jones :

Sorry but I have seen you have had all your other questions to date answered but you have not accepted any so I cannot help you here, opting out


oh sorry I didn't realise I had to! not done on purpose !


If you are positive that the damage to the car was not caused by you, you should simply write back to your employer and state that you did not cause any damage to the car and that you do not accept their decision to deduct the £400 from your final wages and making it clear that you will take legal action if they make the deduction.

They would need to prove that the damage was indeed caused by you, which I suspect they would find very hard.

If they still go ahead and make the deduction, you may lodge a claim in the courts or employment tribunal for the money. The easiest would be online at

Hope this helps. Please leave feedback
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience: solicitor
UKSolicitorJA and other UK Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you