How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: UK Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  solicitor
Type Your UK Employment Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My retirement date is january 2016. My birth date is 4 march

This answer was rated:

My retirement date is january 2016. My birth date is 4 march 1953. I was married in 1974 and as I have always been self employed was advised by my then accountant that I did not need to pay NIC class 2. I was divorced in 1994 but didn't realise until 2009 that I should have been paying contributions. I have been paying since then plus 'back paid' 6 years aswell. I was told that i could probably use my ex husbands contributions as long as I didn't re marry. With the new pension starting in 2017 I am concerned as to where I stand. Thankyou, Karen.

You will reach your state pension age on 6th January 2016.

As long as you don't remarry before this date, you can claim using your ex husband's contributions as well for the time you were married.

I suggest you use this calculator to see how much pension you will be entited to:

You do not need to worry about the 2017 changes as you wil have reached your state pension age before then.

Hope this helps-please leave feedback

UKSolicitorJA and other UK Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Am I right in thinking that I will get for eg 15 years on my NIC payments and eg 19 years ex husbands NICs added together , to make up a full pension.