UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

I am about to go into a Disaplinary meeting About 3 weeks…

I am about to go...
I am about to go into a Disaplinary meeting

About 3 weeks ago I was interviewed as part of the inveatigation. During the interview a secretary was taking notes on several sides of paper. Most of these notes were unreadable, but I was assured that a printed version would be made availble te me.

Both the manager, who interviewed me and myself signed all the hand written notes.

I have just recieved a printed version of the notes, but not a photo copy of the hand written notes, so I have no way of checking its accuracy except by using my memory.

At my next meeting:
1) do I have to accept this printed copy
2) can I insist on seeing the oridginal to compare
3) Is ther any bits of govement legislation that I could throw at them should they decide to be awkward
1/2/2013
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Ben Jones :

Hello and thank you for your question, which I will be happy to assist you with. Please let me know what is the disciplinary for?

JACUSTOMER-sl8mirdz- :

Gross misconduct of a Health and safety policy at work

JACUSTOMER-sl8mirdz- :

Hi Ben

JACUSTOMER-sl8mirdz- :

Hi Ben,

JACUSTOMER-sl8mirdz- :

Your at Dinner I presume

JACUSTOMER-sl8mirdz- :

I have been hanging about since about 1 o'clock

JACUSTOMER-sl8mirdz- :

Sorry I will have to go

JACUSTOMER-sl8mirdz- :

I had waited for a reply to my first chat for about 1/2hr. I did not know how long you were going to be, so I poped out. When I got back you had replied with a questian, but was off the air. I replied to your questian and waited for over an hour, with no reply

Ben Jones :

Sorry I was offline by the time you had responded to my initial question. According to the ACAS Code of Practice an employer is required to keep notes of any formal meetings relating to grievances and disciplinary action. It further states that "Copies of meeting records should be given to the employee including copies of any formal minutes that may have been taken".

There is no legal requirement for the employer to also provide the original handwritten notes to you as long as they have provided accurate typed notes. If you are not sure whether the typed notes are accurate you can request a copy of the handwritten ones by telling your employer you are making a subject access request under the Data Protection Act 1998.

Please take a second to leave a positive rating. If you need further clarification please do NOT rate yet and simply get back to me with any queries or comments you have and I will be happy to assist further. Thank you

Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer