UK Employment Law

UK Employment Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Employment Law

MY DAUGHTER IS BEING BULLIED AND VICTIMISED AT WORK. SHES

MY DAUGHTER IS BEING BULLIED...
MY DAUGHTER IS BEING BULLIED AND VICTIMISED AT WORK. SHE'S NOT SLEEPING AND WHEN SHE DOES MANAGE TO SLEEP SHE WAKES UP ARGUING WITH HER BOSS. SHE IS A HARD WORKER RARELY HAS TIME OFF AND HAS GOT ON WITH ALL OF THE OTHER TEACHERS THAT SHE HAS WORKED WITH. ITS ONLY SINCE THE DEPUTY HEAD GOT THE HEAD SHIP THAT THINGS HAVE GONE DRASTICALLY WRONG. SHE HAS STARTED TO MAKE NOTES OF THINGS THAT ARE SAID OR DONE, BUT IT IS DIFFICULT TO GET PEOPLE T0 WITNESS THEM AS THEY ARE FEARFUL FOR THEIR JOBS, WHICH IS UNDERSTANDABLE. I WANT MY DAUGHTER TO TAKE HER TO A TRIBUNIAL FOR CONSTRUCTIVE DISMISAL. BUT I/WE DONT KNOW HOW TO GO ABOUT IT. CAN YOU PLEASE HELP.
12/2/2012
UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor

How long has she worked there for?

approx 10 years maybe more,

she has worked there for approx 10 years maybe more.

approx 10 years.

Thank you.

Your daughter may be able to claim constructive dismissal if she is forced to resign because of her employer’s unlawful behavior. To pursue a claim for constructive dismissal, she will need to demonstrate that her employer committed a serious breach of her employment contract, which she did not accept and she was forced to resign as a result thereof.

She should try and gather as much evidence of the harassment and bullying against her to support her claim.

She should make it clear that she does not accept the behaviour of the employer e.g. by saying as much to the employer resigning as soon as she feels she is ready to.

She will also need to show that the dismissal was unfair or wrongful.

Common grounds for unfair dismissal are based on:

• gender;
  • pregnancy, maternity, or paternity;
  • marital status;
  • family ties;
  • race;
  • age;
  • disability;
  • membership or non-membership of a trade union;
  • assertion of a statutory right;
  • whistleblowing;
  • industrial action;
  • jury service;
  • activities as an occupational pension scheme trustee; or
  • health and safety.

Normally a claim must be brought within three months of the last day of employment, counting the last day of employment as the first day of the three month period.

Proving wrongful dismissal simply requires her to show that her employer breached a term in her employment contract, which resulted in dismissal or forced her to leave.

She may file a claim for wrongful constructive dismissal either in the civil courts or in an employment tribunal. But she can only claim unfair constructive dismissal in an employment tribunal.

The time limit for filing a claim with an employment tribunal is the same for both unfair and wrongful constructive dismissal -- within three months of your last day of employment.

As stated above, however, you can pursue your claim for wrongful constructive dismissal either in the civil courts or an employment tribunal. The time limit for filing in civil court is much longer -- she has six years from the date she was dismissed.

To start an action against the former employer, she will need to file a statement of claim. This is a written statement, which contains basic information about her and her former employer (e.g., her names, addresses, and the dates employment began and ended), and allegations of fact which support her claim of constructive dismissal. If she lodge a claim with an employment tribunal, she will also need to complete and file ET1 form.

She may be able to get a lawyer to take her case on a no win no fee basis.

Hope this helps, please leave feedback
UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor

Thank you for a clear and precise answer. I need to digest what you have said. I will be back in touch soon where I will give you a final rating;

Thank you.

FURTHER TO MY QUERY MY DAUGHTER DOES NOT HAVE AN UPTO DATE CONTRACT. SHE STILL HAS THE ONE WHEN SHE WAS EMPLOYED AS AN L.S.A SHE HAS HAS SINCE COMPLETED HER TRAINING AS A NURSERY NURSE. AND GAINED PROMOTION
FROM HER OLD BOSS. IS THERE SOMETHING ELSE THAT CAN BE DONE AS SHE DOES NOT WANT TO LEAVE HER JOB, SHE JUST WANTS THE BULLYING AND FAVOURITISM TO STOP.

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor