Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years experience
18726264

CAN AN EMPLOYEE BE MADE REDUNDANT ON MEDICAL GROUNDS[CHRONIC

Customer Question

CAN AN EMPLOYEE BE MADE REDUNDANT ON MEDICAL GROUNDS[CHRONIC BACK TROUBLE AWAITING TREATMENT] WORKS AS IN HEALTH CARE SECTOR, SO THAT SHE CAN GO ON
DISABLEMENT UNTIL RECOVERY AFTER TREATMENT
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
Ill health is not a basis for redundancy. Redundancy arises from circumstances unconnected with the individual employee's performance. For example redundancy can arise if the employer needs fewer employees and may hen select on the basis of performance in deciding who to dismiss . Selecting someone for dismissal because of illness is simply dismissal which has to be down fairly and after proper inquiry.

It is possible to dismiss someone for long term sickness but it depends on the circumstances.

I see you have given me a negative rating for the answer I gave you. Please let me know what else I can tell you and if I can clarify further. Please ignore the two preceding information requests which are posted by the site not me.