UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

can one of my staff work for 9 hours a day and not have a break…

Customer Question
can one of my staff...
can one of my staff work for 9 hours a day and not have a break even if i pay her for 9 hours or does she have to have a break
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: UK Employment Law
4/7/2012
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Hello and thank you for your question, which I will be happy to assist you with. Please let me know

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
hi i have just start my own pizza shop and have a cook she wonts to work 9 hours a day and get payed for 9 hours and take no breaks what i wont to know can i do that or do i have to make sure she gets her break and knock of the hour as i do not wont any come back in say 6 months or two years time
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Solicitor: UK-Justice, Barrister replied 6 years ago
UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Thanks for your question. Please remember to click ACCEPT once you get my answer.

A worker is entitled to an uninterrupted break of 20 minutes when daily working time is more than six hours. It should be a break in working time and should not be taken either at the start, or at the end, of a working day.

Please remember to click accept so that I am credited for my time. Thank you.
UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister