UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

can my employer ask me to work on a saturday and take the time…

Customer Question
can my employer ask me...
can my employer ask me to work on a saturday and take the time off in lieu when i was employed to work one saturday in four with paid overtime
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: UK Employment Law
4/7/2012
Solicitor: michael holly, Solicitor replied 6 years ago
michael holly
michael holly, Solicitor

The employer can do this. Firstly there is often a clause in employment contracts which says that the employer can change the working hours if the employer thinks it necessary. In any event even without that common clause the employer can do this as there is a degree of flexibility in the contract.

However the employer should try to give reasonable notice and it should be done only when there is a real need not just because the employer feels like it

I hope this clarifies the position , kindly click accept so that I get credit for my answer

Best wishes

Yours sincerely

michael holly
michael holly, Solicitor
does this mean that the employee has no rights in the employment law what so ever, can they dismiss me if i refuse to work the saturdays without pay?
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.