michael holly
michael holly, Solicitor
Experience:  Over 20 years experience of dealing with employment law matters and qualified mediator
12609314

can my employer ask me to work on a saturday and take the time

can my employer ask me to work on a saturday and take the time off in lieu when i was employed to work one saturday in four with paid overtime
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  michael holly replied 5 years ago.

The employer can do this. Firstly there is often a clause in employment contracts which says that the employer can change the working hours if the employer thinks it necessary. In any event even without that common clause the employer can do this as there is a degree of flexibility in the contract.

However the employer should try to give reasonable notice and it should be done only when there is a real need not just because the employer feels like it

I hope this clarifies the position , kindly click accept so that I get credit for my answer

Best wishes

Yours sincerely

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
does this mean that the employee has no rights in the employment law what so ever, can they dismiss me if i refuse to work the saturdays without pay?

No , but your hours are not written in stone either.The employment tribunal would take into account, if asked, that businesses sometimes need staff to be flexible.A permanent change in your hours would be different as would asking you to work Saturdays every week but you can do nothing about the occasional request to work different hours.

They can dismiss you if your refusal to work Saturdays without pay is regarded as being unreasonable and that would depend on the reasons why

Yours sincerely

Michael