UK Employment Law

UK Employment Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Employment Law

I experienced first hand a potentially dangerous domestic situation

Customer Question
at my place of work...
I experienced first hand a potentially dangerous domestic situation at my place of work, and left shortly afterwards due to the stress and anxiety it has caused. The person involved was remanded and is to be prosecuted, pending further investigation and evidence I may be required to give. Unwilling to return to my previous employer because of the ongoing case, am I eligible for any compensation, or job-seekers allowance despite my voluntary leave?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: UK Employment Law
4/4/2012
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 5 years ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Ben Jones :

Hello and thank you for your question, which I will be happy to assist you with. Please let me know when did you leave?

Customer:

approximately 5 weeks ago

Ben Jones :

how long did you work there for?

Customer:

over 2 years

Ben Jones :

what actually happened that forced you to leave?

Customer:

Glasgow siege 6 weeks ago. I received a bomb threat. Man was remanded after 8 hrs. The case is ongoing.

Customer:

My evidence could determine the sentencing.

Ben Jones :

There are a couple of ways you can try and get something out of this. One is by claiming constructive dismissal in an employment tribunal. However, that is traditionally a difficult claim to win and to be successful you have to show that your employer has committed a fundamental breach of contract that forced you to resign. I am not entirely certain you can pin this issue on your employer and the fact that this was a stressful situation in general when in fact your employer was not at fault is unlikely to give you enough ammunition to sue.

So the other way is to see what benefits you are entitled to. Jobseekers allowance could be payable even if you left at your own will but you have to convince them that you were forced to leave. If you cannot do so, some benefits may be delays by several months. However, as there are so many factors taken into consideration you are best advised to contact your local benefits office to see what your circumstances may entitle you to.

Please let me know if you need any further help with your query. If you do not, I would be grateful if you could please press Accept before exiting, many thanks.

Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Ben Jones
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer