UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

Do staff who work in Supported Living Care for people with…

Customer Question
Do staff who work in...
Do staff who work in Supported Living Care for people with special needs, who work in tenants home, and do not get a break, as no staff room facilities entitled to their meal free? They work 9 and 6 hour shifts and are expected to sit and eat their meal with the tenants in their own home. I was lead to beleive this was employment law, that if no break provided staff were entitled to a meal per shift?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: UK Employment Law
4/3/2012
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Ben Jones :

Hello and thank you for your question, which I will be happy to assist you with. Please let me know if you could explain your situation a little more?

Customer:

I am a manager of a supported living care home for people for special needs. It is their home, they all have a tenancy agreement and our staff team of 18 work in shifts at their home, so there is no staff room or a place to have a break, that is part of the job. We are expected to eat our lunch and dinner with the tenants to create a homely environment which is fine, but staff have always received the meal free, as no breaks. I was lead to beleive that this was employment law. The company has now changed and saying staff must take in their own food?

Customer:

I am awaiting a reply

Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Apologies for the slight delay, I experienced some temporary connection issues earlier. What does your contract say about this?