UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

my aunt has died last week and i have been left to sort out…

Customer Question
my aunt has died last...
my aunt has died last week and i have been left to sort out her afairs - she has a will and im the executor - she has about 18000 pounds in saving - does she have to have probate
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: UK Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/2/2012
Solicitor: James Mather,
 replied 6 years ago
James Mather
Does she own any property, house etc. What is her total wealth worth?

Please give me as much detail as possible.

I need a bit more information please. I am going off line shortly and will be on and off all day (experts on here are also practising lawyers) but will be back later (on and off) today when I will deal further once I have your reply.

she has no property - about 5000 pound in her bank account (barclays) also a savings bond with the same bank for about 13000 pounds - she has left a a list of who she wants to leave what to - and all remaining money left once expenses etc have been taken care of to go her sister - it all very clear what she wanted and i hoping it wll be as simple to for fill.

Solicitor: James Mather,
 replied 6 years ago

Unless the bank insist this can be dealt with as a small estate.

Go into bank with yr passport, yr driving licence, yr utility bill (any) and the will and they should give you a form to have sworn bya solicitor £5) stating that you have the authority to deal with the proceeds.

It is then for you to distribute the assets.

It is an offence not to do it in accordance with the will or say you have the authority if you dont. The excutor does have the authority.

Please press accept and I will clarify any points. The question will not close. Thanks

L

James Mather