UK Employment Law

UK Employment Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Employment Law

In 2001 i worked for an independant company, in 2005 the company

Customer Question
was taken over by the...
In 2001 i worked for an independant company, in 2005 the company was taken over by the son. In July 2009 i became a pensioner and reduced my hours from 4 days to 2, on Thursday this week i am being made redundant. Do i have any right to redundancy?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: UK Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/1/2012
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 5 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Are they denying you a claim?
yes
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 5 years ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Hello, my colleague has asked me to assist with your query as it is more my area of law. As long as the reason for the termination of your employment is redundancy then you would be entitled to receive the following payments:
• Contractual notice period
• Accrued holidays
• Statutory redundancy payment

You appear to have continuous service going back to 2001 so your redundancy payment should take that full period into account. However as you are currently only working 2 days a week you can only count your current wages in the calculation.

In order to calculate your entitlement to redundancy you can use this calculator:

www.direct.gov.uk/redundancy.dsb

Please press Accept for the advice given so far. If necessary, I can then provide further advice and guidance as required and answer any specific questions you may have. Thank you
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Ben Jones
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer