UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

Suspended - Until Further Notice (which I presume to be investigation…

Customer Question
Suspended - Until Further Notice...
Suspended - Until Further Notice (which I presume to be investigation this was not specified nor was any documentation given to me)

I arrived at work today and was suspended pending investigation for theft of 10 GBP (which I maintain I did not do)

I printed an X read which is the takings for the day and also a Z read which is then given to the front desk.

Last night the manager counted the contents of the till this included the float for the day and also takings through out the day. I then wrote the Z read on to a takings sheet. I then went through the whole Z read and added it all up to the amount of 182 GBP the till was 1.67 GBP short.

The manager then counted the the till to 181 GBP he then dictated the how many notes there were and I wrote them on the sheet, he then left and I proceeded to take this to the reception to be counted by the duty manager, when then counted this amount he said it to be only 170 GBP so I then went back to the safe and took 10GBP to balance the amount (up at reception) he then counted the amount again and stated it was present and correct and signed it placed it a blue bag and placed it in the safe held in the reception area.

This morning I opened up the cafe as normal, the HR Manager and the cafe mamanger then left where they then spoke in an office, then they returned the Cafe Manager then the HR Manager stated she wanted to count the till I then conducted an X read which stated how much money we had taken so far in the morning I then gave this to the HR manager who then counted the till with Cafe Manager they then worked out the till was 1.50GBP over and then the Lesuire Centre manager arrived and asked why the till is 1.50 GBP over and then the three manager then went to the office.

I was then called into the office with the Cafe Manager, HR Manager and a general Admin person they questioned why the till was 10GBP short the night before i then told her my story I was then asked to leave they then spoke with the Cafe Manager he then left and I was called back into the office with the HR Manager and a General Admin where I told my story again and this was all noted down which I did not see to agree with what was being written at the time. The HR Manager then proceeded to ask where the 10 GBP had gone the night before the HR manager the proceeded was either 9 GBP over or under on Tues or Weds of the week prior (which could not have had anything to do with myself as I was in Bristol not London and did not go anywhere near where I work) and I then stated again I had not taken the 10 GBP. The HR Manager then suspended me I then got up and left.

I require advice as this does not stack up really the till was not 10 GBP out as the float was 1.50 GBP over this morning do they have any right to suspend me? Was this conducted the right way? Any advice you can give would be much appreciated
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: UK Employment Law
10/7/2010
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Hi how long have you worked there for?
3 Years Sept just gone
The first thing to bear in mind is that suspension is just a precautionary measure and is mainly used by employers to preserve evidence and prevent influencing of witnesses. It is not an indication of guilt and it s only used during an an ongoing investigation to find out if you have a case to answer. Remember that employers do not need a clear indication of guilt to suspend and only need an allegation to do so. As long as you have been told you're suspended, are on full pay and are not kept suspended unneessarily long then your employer is not doing much wrong. What's important is what happens next - if there's a disciplinary how it's handled and what decision is taken.

Please press Accept if I have answered your question. You can still ask follow up questions if necessary. Thanks
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Ben Jones
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer