UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

I have decided to resign without notice from my current role.

Customer Question
This is pending an investigation...
I have decided to resign without notice from my current role. This is pending an investigation in to gross misconduct. I contacted my collegue at work today to advise her i would like to come in for a informal meeting and resign without notice.
I was advised she would not allow me to come in as she was interviewing the girl who made the accusations against me and if i was to resign she would not accept it as the investigation was pending. It is possible not the accept my resignation?
I am on a 3 month notice period so i understand they maybe able to claim against loss. I have been sligned off since the suspension with stress and depression by the Dr, I have put this down to one of the reasons why I wanted to leave as the situation has made me unhappy and not able to work for the company any more. My major worry is if they can not accept my resignation and force me to have a interview / disciplinary.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: UK Employment Law
10/7/2010
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Hi, your employer can't refuse to accept your resignation. If you resign than that's it Another issue is if you resign without giving notice. Your employer could then sue you for breach of contract and claim damages, although that is very rarely done. In addition don't rely on a reference from them as if they proves one they can say that you had resigned pending a disciplinary which never looks good.

Please press Accept if I have answered your question. You can still ask follow up questions if necessary. Thanks
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer