UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

My wife took a role as civil engineer a couple of years ago.

The contract was pro-rota based...
My wife took a role as civil engineer a couple of years ago. The contract was pro-rota based on 3 days a week. Now her employer says that 'working part-time is an impediment to the poffice', althougth there are others doing dofferent roles that have not been asked 'to think of a solution'. She think's they are either going to make her redundant or waiting for her to say she can't work full-time due to child-care and then they use that to terminate her emplyment.

What rights does she have?
10/5/2010
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hi

Has she formally been asked to work full time?

No.

There are several issues here:

1. Protection of part-time workers - part-time workers are protected from being treated less favourably than an equivalent full-time worker just because they are part time. The only exception this is if the employer can objectively justify their actions, although that is not always easy. If she believes her employer has treated her less favourably than a full-time worker then she has the right to receive a written statement of reasons for the treatment. She should put her request in writing and her employer must return the written statement within 21 days. If she is not satisfied that this treatment is objectively justified, then she can make a complaint to an Employment Tribunal.

2. Change to contractual terms - if they try and force her to change her hours to work full time she can resist that as a change to contractual terms to which she has not agreed. If the changes are forced through she can resign and claim constructive dismissal.

3. Sex discrimination - if she is treated less favourably because she is a woman and his childminding duties, that could amount to sex discrimination. It is an other option to consider if she needs to take this further.

Please press the ACCEPT button. You would still be able to ask any follow-up questions if necessary. Many thanks

Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer