UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

I am a serving police officer in uk. exemplary discipline and…

Customer Question
I am a serving police...
I am a serving police officer in uk. exemplary discipline and performance record of 14 years. My husband also serving officer recently had brief affair with a pcso (civillian) whom works from the same office as me. That would have been hard enough, but she has provoked me and carried on a course of conduct of what I believe is harassment in the workplace. she stares at me, snarls, sneers, smirks at me.. has been caught spying on me through the peephole of an office door. This has all made me quite ill, and I have lost my confidence and I am off with stress now. 4 people (not friends either) have witnessed these looks and smirks(different incidents too) and have put pen to paper. I have detailed an account of the 12 months of behaviour towards me by this girl, I have not retalliated or challenged it. it has spoiled my quality of life for 12 months. I have brought it to the bosses attention 4 times in the last year and each time they gave her an informal verbal warning. The last time she had a discipline hearing and was given another verbal warning, but was only dealt with for 'unacceptable behaviour at work' and not harassment in the workplace. The girl has not been moved and denies all accusations. Shouldn't they have dealt with her for the more serious offence of harassment in the workplace? then they may have been able to move her etc...
Am I covered by the legislation of harassment in the workplace being an 'holder of office' (police officer), and not an 'employee'?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: UK Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/4/2010
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hi

Were the complaints you raised formal or just informal?

initially informal and she was just advised re her behaviour. then in july i submitted formal complaint and clearly stated i felt harassed at work. i included the accounts from witnesses too. i found out the girl has been dealt with for 'minor misconduct' akin to lateness etc... and given a verbal warning in the disciplinary hearing. i asked why this wasnt treated/dealt with as harassment at work and i was told i didnt make it clear what my complaint was. however in my complaint i detailed 12 months worth of behaviour(course of conduct, deliberate, sustained) which has led me to be on medication and really caused me stress. are we saying that spying, smirks , laughs, snarls etc every time she passes me is not harassment at work??
hi, you still there?

My apologies for the delay in replying, I had to go offline just before you got back to me.

You would still be covered by harassment legislation. In fact, one of the most famous cases of harassment and discrimination involved a police officer (Vento v West Yorkshire Police).

If you believe that not enough is being done by your employer or that they are handling the situation badly then you may wish to consider taking the next step by raising a formal grievance. This would be an official record of your concerns and would result in a formal meeting at which you can discuss your concerns.

If the grievance does not resolve mattes, then you have the option of resigning and claiming constructive dismissal, although that is a last resort for obvious reasons. You would be arguing that your employer had breached the implied term of trust and confidence by failing to deal adequately with the issues at hand.

Another tip would be to keep a diary of all incidents as that would show the frequency of the actions against you, which would put things more into perspective.

Please press the ACCEPT button. You would still be able to ask any follow-up questions if necessary. Many thanks

Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

is this just harassment in the workplace tho, there are no other factors such as race, sexuality, disability... the girl is just harassing me!! and like i said i did raise a formal grievance but they dealt with it as 'unacceptable conduct' rather than harassment in the workplace, and as you know the penalties for unacceptable conduct fall well short of that for harassment in the workplace. the other thing i wanted to know, do you think 12 months of smirks snarls laughs spying etc constitutes harassment in the workplace given that it has affected and ruined my life for 12 months?

resigning is too risky... i collect a nice pension in ten years!!

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.