UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

I am currently one of two people in a redundancy consultation…

Customer Question
I am currently one of...
I am currently one of two people in a redundancy consultation period. This started in July and will end 30 November. I have been advised that the consultation period may be extended if my employer deems it necessary.
My position will be moved 'offshore' and I am currently training the person who will take on my role.

By training the person who will ultimately take my job does this compromise the definition of the 'consultation period'?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: UK Employment Law
10/3/2010
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hi

Could you please elaborate your question - why do you believe that training someone during the consultation period invalidates it?

My understanding of the consultation process was to discuss the possibilities of being made redundant and any alternatives. If i am training the person that will ultimately take my role does this not change the discussion over whether I will be made redundant to when? (no consultation) Can the consultation period be extended to meet the training requirements of my employer to facilitate my jobs redundancy?

When you say someone will take over your job - would that be when it gets offshored?