UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

Is it illegal to take a photograph of a person in the workplace…

Is it illegal to take...
Is it illegal to take a photograph of a person in the workplace (steel industry) without their permission, where the person can be easily identified? The person was carrying out a task and alleged to be in breach of Health & Safety, but after further investigation, the photograph was found to be misleading
10/2/2010
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hi

Who took the photograph and what for?

Hi

A 'behavioural' coach who works for the company. He has used similar photographs in the past for training/awareness purposes, however, the previous photographs used did not show faces of people.

Did the people who were photographed know they were being photographed?

Hi Ben

No, they didn't know and they still don't know that a photograph was taken

Carl

And finally - how exactly was the photographed used as you mentioned investigations, etc?
The photograph was attached to an e-mail and circulated to 12 people There was no disclaimer on the e-mail, therefore it may have been forwarded to additional people. It accompanied an incident investigation form, however, the incident was proved to be significantly less of a risk than what the photographed portrayed. The majority of people included on the mailing list were not directly involved in the incident, neither were they part of the investigation team.

The starting point is that under the Data Protection Act (DPA), if a photo is taken that contains images of clearly identifiable people then the consent of those people would be necessary. In obtaining consent the person taking the photo must inform the subjects what the photo is taken for, what it will be used for and where it will appear.

This should be considered in conjunction with any specific policies you may have in the workplace as those would also apply. they may not necessarily override the law but may place additional requirements that must be met.

Failure to follow the requirements of the legislation will result in the person taking the photo being in breach of the DPA. If you are concerned someone is breaching any of the Data Protection Act principles, in the first instance you should write to the organisation/person responsible for the breach.

In your letter make it clear what the details of the breach are and ask them to rectify the problem. If they are unhelpful or fail to respond to you, inform the Information Commissioner.

Please press the ACCEPT button. You would still be able to ask any follow-up questions if necessary. Many thanks

Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer