UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

i have an email approval from my direct line manager to take…

Customer Question
i have an email approval...
i have an email approval from my direct line manager to take holiday, I met work commitments before booking my holiday but booked it when a sales meeting had been scheduled, this has been in my diary for about 5 months. I have apologised for my mistake which was not intentional. They are asking for my signed holiday form which I don't have due to my job which is working out on the road visiting clients the first opportunity I had to fill in that form was 3 days ago and my line manager is now refusing to sign it despite having his approval on a mail. This is the third time I've tried to book this holiday, the previous times has been rejected due to dates that I wanted, being at the end of the month was one reason despite other team members being allowed to go. I want to know what the consequences are if I do go ahead with my holiday, can I get the sack for Gross Misconduct as they are using the form as 'approved authorisation'
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Employment Law
6/28/2010
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hi

How long have you worked there? When is the holiday due?

Hi

nearly 3 years and my holiday is on the 12th July, requested it on the 7th June and received email confirmation that it was okay to take.

And do you have a disciplinary policy that lists what amounts to gross misconduct - e.g. is unauthorised absence listed to amount to such an offence?
unauthorised absence is listed as gross misconduct but I received authorisation from my boss via email otherwise I would have never taken the holiday, they are saying the actual holiday form is the approval and now my boss won't sign it!
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.