UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

i run a small business and 2 of the 8 staff are no surplus…

Customer Question
i run a small business...
i run a small business and 2 of the 8 staff are no surplus to requirements due to a drop in business and the fact that we have outsourced a lot of the work that they were involved in. Also 1 of them in particular has been repeatedly poor at his job and not completing tasks so in any event I would have been looking to dismiss him on performance and disciplinary grounds. Both employees have a standard contract which states we must give them 4 weeks notice if we wish to terminate the employment.
Can I simply give them notice based on this 4 week option?
Is the better route redundancy due to decrease in work in their departments?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Employment Law
6/24/2010
Solicitor: ClaireD, Solicitor replied 8 years ago
ClaireD
ClaireD, Solicitor
How long have they been employed by you?
the one that has been particularly poor at his job of late has been employed 13 months. The other has been employed 2 years.
we basically cannot afford to keep the two of them on at present without risking the business going under.
I was going to offer reduced hours to both as alternative to redundancy. if i go for this option given that there is two of them would i need to follow any process or consultation or would meeting with manager and explanation of options and letter suffice
thanks

You would be best advised not to just give them notice of 4 weeks as they could both claim unfair dismissal. You can either sack them for their poor performance, or a better option would be to make them redundant, providing that you follow the correct selection procedure and best practice redundancy procedure. This ACAS guide is a good account of how to do this. http://www.acas.org.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=877&p=0

If you do make them redundant, the person with 13 months service would only be entitled to their contractual notice or pay in lieu and the one with 2 years would be entitled to their contractual notice or pay in lieu as well as statutory redundancy payment.

I hope that helps.

Regards

Claire

thanks Claire
ok so just so I am clear:
their line managers call them both into a meeting to explain the situation and provide the redundancy letter based on the terms above?

do they need written notification ahead of the meeting telling them its a potential redundancy situation as you would ahead of a disciplinary hearing? or is it ok to sit them down and explain the situation and provide them with redundancy notice letters?
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.