UK Employment Law

UK employment law questions answered by verified Experts

I was asked to take an alcohol test at work, I did so under…

Customer Question
I was asked to take...
I was asked to take an alcohol test at work, I did so under duress. My company have a contract with a large company to conduct these tests. I was tested for times and was told by the pesrson who conducted the test that I was under the legal limit stated. The occupational health advisor for my company left the room and told me she had telephoned the police and they said I was twice the legal limit. I was then suspended fron work.
Two weeks later I was contacted by my company to say they had lifted my suspension as the company they have the contract with had calculated the results incorrectly. I have contacted the company who conducted the alcohol test and have been told that there is no calculation done with the test, that it is the alcohol blood content that is measured and that my company had been confused and had made their own calculations.
I have tried to ask some questions regarding the test and my company are avoiding answering them and have now offered me medical termination.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Employment Law
6/9/2010
Solicitor: tjgesq,
 replied 8 years ago
tjgesq
Hi. Where is this taking place? If it's in the US, what State?

Thank you.

Hi, This taking taking place in uk.

Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Hi, it appears you originally posted your question in the US Law category. Can you please confirm how long you have worked there and whether you have actually been dismissed or just informed they are thinking of dismissing you on medical grounds?

Hello, I have worked for the company for 38 years, I think they thought they could could dismiss me by way of the alcohol test but when it showed that I was under the legal limit my company over ruled the result and suspended me from work. I have found out since from the company that conducted the test that my company did their own calculations. After a two week investigation I was invited to a meeting with a manager of my company to say that my suspension had been lifted and that because i have some medical problems I could finish on medical grounds. I have now been offered this with a payment of £8,000.

I have tried to ask some questions about the alcohol test but my company are very vague and have told me that the company who they pay to conduct the test have made inaccurate calculations. I have asked for a copy of the investigation and was sent a copy of four statements which are unsigned and nothing to say who conducted the investigation or the conclusion. I feel that my company were out to sack me one way or another.