UK Electronics

UK Electronics Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

UK Electronics

LG TV with Toshiba dvd player Getting sound but no picture Says

Customer Question
LG TV with Toshiba dvd...
LG TV with Toshiba dvd player
Getting sound but no picture
Says no signal on screen
Menu on TV remote press input tried all modes AV1 etc still no signal.
Has worked before.
Connections checked and firm
Forgotten tuning sequence to play dvd
Have turned off sky
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Electronics
6/14/2015
Electronics Technician: Anthony InfoTech, Technician replied 2 years ago
Anthony InfoTech
Anthony InfoTech, Technician
Hello
Welcome
Thanks for the Question

If you play a DVD does it play?there is no tuning to play a DVD

Are you watching the TV via an aerial?

Anthony

Dvd plays sound only

We have sky box and cable not arial

Are you saying if you press the menu button with the sets own remote control the menu comes up?

Anthony

Yes

OK I just worked out this is not a combi unit but a separate DVD and TV,

I will now need to know how you havethe DVD connected to the TV what input you are using?HDMI or phono leads?or via the aerial coax socket?

Anthony

Dvd connected through Onkyo processor RC738M

Any of the inputs I choose from menu says no signal.

Which one should I choose?

AV1 makes sound like white noise

We use HDMI connectors and phone depending upon signal source

OK what happensif you go directly to the TV with the DVD does it then come through?

Anthony

We having done that

And still no results?so its the same that rules out the home theatre

That leaves the DVD itself the lead and maybe the input on the TV so when you connected to the TV what lead(s) did you use or better still what input?HDMI/component/composite its all labelled on the set or the DVD itself where the lead(s) come out

Anthony

An hdmi lead from the sky box goes into TV ( into HDMI 3) and the phono connectors from vcr to phono socket on tv

Should we have input on T V on HDMI 3 for tv viewing of sky?

What input on TV do we choose for viewing dvd?

OK just so you understand I am trying to isolate the problem as to the cause, so the VCR or DVD that you are using what input is that going into?is that phono if so what input type?composite red/white/yellow or component red/green/blue

Have you lost sky as well?if its in on HDMI 3 then yes it should be HDMI 3

Anything we do now to isolate the issue will go back the way it was before.

I just need info to move forwards thanks

Vcr / DVD yes phone AV3. Red white yellow

Sky ok as usual

OK thats composite

So you have the dvd/combi connected DIRECTLY to AV3 when you select AV3 you get sound but no picture (sky OK) so this is the full symptoms now.

The problem is likey to actually be the DVD/VCR as a workaround is there COMPONENT output on the DVD/VCR ?that is red/green/blue?

Anthony

First of all we have not got dvd combi

We have Hitachi VCR, Toshiba dvd and Samsung blue ray.

We cannot get either dvd to work.

They worked last time we used them

The LG TV shows no signal for any of the inputs listed on TV menu we hAve tried them all. we can get tv through sky.

Husband sAys no component output that is red green blue

OK so you multiple inputs not just the one and you can't get any through except sky however you have only mentioned AV3 which was the issue ?

Anthony

So what more information can I give you to help?

We can get sound only from dvd but nothing I do to the tv through its menu system will allow me to get picture and sound from dvd

I understand your frustration may I ask this again, have you gone directly to the TV with any one of those inputs you say is not working?so bypassing the home theatre?

You see if you are indicating one input that seems to me to be from the home theatre and your switching everything at the home theatre.

Before doing anything else though I would like you to reboot everything that is the home theatre the box and the TV at the same time by unplugging them all waiting 5 mins then replugging back in again let meknow if that changes anything

Anthony

Ok will do that get back to you in about 5 minutes

OK

Anthony

Hello again

Done as you have said

Switched all back on but no change.

Dvd is playing in machine, tv is on and saying no signal

I've tried all from AV 1,2,3 to hdmi 1,2,3 but nothing.

So the sky was connected to HDMI 3 is that not working now?or are you saying you tried those AS WELL to look for the inputs you have lost

You see from what you said earlier you are only using AV 3?or are you using the other inputs as well like AV 1 and AV 2? for the other products?

I am sorry I am confused here

Anthony

Sky is working never been a problem with that!

Only using AV3

You need to eliminate the home theatre as being the issue you do that by connecting DIRECTLY to the TV the dvd player or any other input into the AV 3 on the TV so we know then if it is the TV or the home theatre you said you have done that but I cant see how you have?

Once I know for sure one of your products is going DIRECTLY to the TV I will know what is wrong and what needs to be done

Anthony

Ok

By the way I said we have not done that but looking back over the messages the self editing script has changed it to "having".

Can I get back to you later or tomorrow even? It will take us some time to sort out eliminating the Home cinema we are not techno friendly as you can tell.

How can I get back to you?

Have you By advice on taking out home cinema

So dvd has to connect straight to tv and not go through the processor?

Do same Jack plugs do the job?

OK I have to say at this point I believe you have a problem with the home theatre, to prove that if you go directly this will verify my suspicions.

All as you need to do is disconnect the input for the DVD for example to the home theatre and go directly with the DVD into the TV if your using the same composite red/white/yellow for the DVD that will be straightforward as you can use the same input the home theatre is going into in the TV

Just bookmark this page and come directly back here thank you

Anthony

Thank you will get back to you when I can

I can only move forward when I know the result of that check thank you

Let me know

Anthony
Hello

I am very interested to know how this is working out please?did you go direct to the TV eliminating the home theatre?

Anthony

No because it's too technical for us to do we are out of our depth.

I am disappointed with the limitations experienced using this service.

It hasn't proved to offer me a solution.

I found the experience stressful and have concluded that face to face with the equipment is the best way of solving technical problems.

I am not satisfied with your expert response on this occasion.

Just so you understand I do not work for JustAnswer I am a user of the site like yourself but I am a verified technician by justanswer, now I am in the UK myself , I am sorry you were disappointed with the dialogue it really all depends on how much you understand the dialogue which I have no control over, the moving forwards does depnd on this and its my belief the home theatre had a problem (even though I fully did not get through trouble-shooting)
All trouble-shooting is done this way its just a discomfort to some people.

Sorry this did not work out just to add I don't receive any funds at all until you rate the answer positively there will be a rating bar with this post if you have any more comments I will be interested to hear them thank you

Regards
Anthony
Anthony InfoTech
Anthony InfoTech
Anthony InfoTech, Technician