UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The bonnet sensor is giving a 'bonnet open' reading. It's…

The bonnet sensor is...

The bonnet sensor is giving a 'bonnet open' reading. It's done this constantly since I bought the car 2 months ago. This morning the alarm has gone off 3 times. From a Google search these seem to be connected. I've checked the connection to the bonnet latch mechanism but it can't see it well enough to see an issue. I want to take the fuse out for the sensor but can't find it. Can you help?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sure thing. How often does the alarm go off? When did you last replace the battery?

It had a new battery just before I bought it in July. The alarm hadn't gone off at all until this morning

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make, model, and year of your car?

57 Ford Focus

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

No I think that's it

8/19/2021
UK Auto Mechanic: Gavin Perry, Auto Mechanic replied 11 months ago
Gavin Perry
Gavin Perry, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** are you what checks have been done so far.

I checked the cable connection into the bonnet latch mechanism but couldn't see it properly to tell if anything was broken.I thought perhaps disconnecting the bonnet sensor would be the best approach but couldn't figure out how to do it

So does it tell you the bonnet is open as you drive.

It's done that since I bought the car 2 months ago

Private sale or trade.

Private salePrevious owner told me the sensor got bashed when she had some work done

Just get the bonnet latched changed.

Gavin Perry
Gavin Perry, Auto Mechanic
OK. Thanks