UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The SRS-lamp i on, the wipers, the horn and the radio is…

Hi!The SRS-lamp i on...

Hi!The SRS-lamp i on, the wipers, the horn and the radio is dead on my 2005 c180 kompressor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Do you know if there is power to the wiper motor?

Yes I have checked the fuses and no I have not checked if there is power to the wiper motor. It seems like I have a relay issue. Don´t you think? Wipers, SRS, radio and horn...

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 Mercedes?

C180 W203

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I´m fixing by myself. First i thougt that the SRS problem were a isolated problem, but one time the SRS-lamp went out and then the radio and the wipers worked untill the SRS lamp light up again.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I don´t think so. The fault is intermittent, but have been for a couple of weeks now.

Answered in 1 hour by:
6/1/2018
Lou P
Lou P, UK Car Mechanic

Hello my name is Lou.
I am going over your request now and will reply back soon with some info OR a few questions, Lou

this does sound like there is an issue with the cars communications system

does the dash ever say "display defective"?

do you have access to a mercedes scan tool?

No never. I have done a scan with a universal tool and the yhe result says problem with the steering angle sensor, but i dont beleive in that due to the radio/wiper/horn problem that seems to follow the SRS problem.

ok so the srs and horn and wiper are all going to be tied to the steering column control module most likely then.

let me explain

also may i have the vin of the car?

should start with WDB203 maybe

the airbag , horn, turn signal, wiper,cruise control, ANY function from the steering column goes through the steering column control unit.

so if there is a issue with it you will lose those functions.

Aha... and the radio may be dead due to the remote control in the steering wheel?
Stupid-question-alert! Is it a separate control unit for the steering column or is it integrated with the steering angle sensor?

sorry on delay, reading now

never a stupid question here, if you dont know please ask me lol

ok so the steering angle sensor is attached to the steering column module.

let me pull up your vin and wiring, make sure what version you have, they have had 2 different ones.

i would still ask that a scanner is used to accurately diagnose but the issue seems to be a steering column module so far.

Lou

a proper diagnostic tool is preferred, but mercedes workshops in Sweden are crazy expensive.

not sure if you have access to ebay and amazon but the

icarsoft mercedes II scanner is very good for the price.

Ok. I will check it out.

ok the steering angle sensor is not part of the column module.

they are replaced separately but the steering angle sensor does transmit through the steering column module

check the fuse in the right front engine bay if looking at the engine, fuse 57 make sure its not blown and make sure it has power with the engine running.

Thanks. I will check this.
Ok sounds good, let me know if you need anything from me.
Please take a second and rate me 5 stars in the top right corner of the chat if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. Thanks for choosing just answer! Also , if you feel I deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED !
There is power on the fuse. Couldn’t even turn the key with the fuse dismounted.
That is odd . But if the fuse has power then we can assume the module has power. We need a scanner to confirm that the module is communicating. And go from there
Ok. It will take a while to get a scanner. Especially in a saturday��
Where is the steering column module located?
In the steering column. Its where all the handles stick out for the turn signal and cruise
Ok. While i wait for the scanner i will demount the airbag, angle sensor and the module and check the cables.
Ok gotcha
Lou P
Lou P, UK Car Mechanic