UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I've got a 2009 vw crafter 2.5 engine. I've recently changed…

Customer Question
I've got a 2009 vw...
I've got a 2009 vw crafter 2.5 engine. I've recently changed the engine and the engine that came out had the plastic pick up ring for the engine speed sensor (crank sensor) but the new engine that went in has the metal pick up ring and the engine won't start with the original engine speed sensor fitted, there's a fault code for the engine speed sensor. Would this just be a case of matching the correct speed sensor with the metal pick up ring or will the ECU not recognise the metal pick up ring/sensor?thanks.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/30/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: DubAutowerks, Volkswagen and Audi expert replied 2 months ago
DubAutowerks
DubAutowerks, Volkswagen and Audi expert

Can you give me the fault code number please? Here's the tricky part. You should NEVER swap a motor into a vehicle that has a different engine code than what you initially had. The fact that you have a different crank sensor pickup wheel tells me it is almost certainly a different engine code. I will attempt to help you deal with this issue, but even once we solve this, there's a chance that it has a different camshaft profile or something that's going to cause more issues.

All crank sensors (as far as I know of) function essentially the same, the reason that the original crank sensor isn't picking up the metal ring is most likely because it's not the right depth in relation to the ring. You're at minimum going to need to replace the crank sensor with the correct one for that engine. My fear is that the plastic pickup wheel uses a hall effect sensor for the crank sensor, which picks up the presence of metal using a transistor and gives a solid square wave output.

The metal rings generally use a variable reluctance sensor which creates an AC pulse as it the teeth pass by. You need to remove the crank sensor, and count the amount of teeth in each of the crank rings, I believe it should be a 90-2 ring, which means 90 teeth, followed by a gap of 2 teeth to indicate top dead center. If both rings have the same amount of teeth then install the correct crank position sensor for that tone ring and that engine and give it a shot, if you're still throwing faults then you need to either see if you can replace the tone ring, or you'll need to attempt to swap the correct engine control module in (easier said than done, you'll need to code it to your immobilizer and stuff, requiring expensive and special equipment).

Replacing the tone ring requires removing the crankshaft technically. One time I rebuilt a VW motor and forgot the tone ring, I didn't figure this out until I went to start it and as it spun not sounding like ANYTHING was trying to start it flashed into my head I never installed the tone ring. I pulled the oil pan and as I looked up at the crank where the ring goes, I noted that it was a pretty tight fit to a lip around which it seats. I actually cut the tone ring into two pieces, one with one screw, one with two screws, put red lock tite on them, cut and made a super short bit to tighten them, and installed the tone ring. Worked like a freaking CHAMP! And saved me a bout 15 hrs of work.

This is halfassedry at it's finest and I'm not proud I did it, but I'm happy I didn't have to spend all that time removing the transmission, crankshaft, getting new rod bolts because they're one time use, etc....I'm also a master level German tech and a CNC machinist, as well as a welder, so I'm fairly qualified to look at something like that and judge whether it'll work. You're going to be taking your chances.

I wish you the best of luck, and I hope this doesn't turn into you having to re-replace the motor.

I want to take a minute to explain how this site works.

We work from our cell phones, shops, homes, etc to help people fix their cars. Recently the site added a membership feature for our customers to get more questions for less money. Unfortunately it has caused confusion with some customers who think that because they've become members or payed a deposit, they don't need to rate or accept our answer.

If you don't accept the answer, we don't even get an hourly wage, and because of the memberships, I have seen my accept percentage fall by almost half.

You're completely covered by both your credit card, and you can put in for a refund if I can't work out a successful solution to your problem. Please remember to hit accept, the site is getting paid but a lot of us experts are not getting our cut of correctly answered questions because of confusion about the site.

You can still come back later and ask follow up questions if necessary on this page even after you hit accept, but if you
leave to fix the vehicle and don't return in time, it will time out, the site keeps your money, and even though I was right, I get nothing.