UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The RPM interminetly goes from 2-3000 to 0 after bad weather…

Customer Question
The RPM interminetly goes...

The RPM interminetly goes from 2-3000 to 0 after bad weather where the road spray gets up into the engine and then can sometimes recover after the engine management light comes on

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Engine management light

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2005 For Fiesta LX

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fiesta yourself? What have you tried so far?

Been to the local garage. had a new crankshaft sensor 4 weeks ago. but the same fault happened again 3 days ago. after the engine dried out the 'fault' repaired itself and the engine management light went off

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: UK Car
5/29/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: DubAutowerks, Volkswagen and Audi expert replied 2 months ago
DubAutowerks
DubAutowerks, Volkswagen and Audi expert

Is the engine ACTUALLY going from 2-3000 and down to zero, or is the gauge just displaying that it's doing so? You should audibly hopefully be able to hear whether or not it's actually varying that much, or if it only seems to be showing that much of a change, but it's actually only varying slightly.

Please explain. It would help if you could give me the fault code number that is in memory, hopefully it's still stored as pending. I MAY need you to get a spray water bottle and spray the crank sensor, the wiring for it, and the throttle body little by little and see if you can replicate where the water causes the issue. So you'll get an old spray bottle and spray the crank sensor then go drive it, then spray the wiring for the sensor, and go drive it, then spray the throttle body and go drive it, those are the three main things that'll cause this.

the needle goes flat to zero like it does when the engine is turned off. I do not notice any change in sound as the car is still being driven as it does before the fault occurs. I am unable to read the fault code as i do not have the technology to do it and only able to do the basics on a car.
Amazon sells a device called in Elm 327 bluetooth dongle and that device will allow you to check fault codes and read sensor values with a free app for your cell phone. You can get them for like $15, and they will do plenty for me to be able to help better.If you're still driving the vehicle around even when the RPM is registering zero and it's not cutting out horribly I do not suspect the crankshaft position if you're still driving the vehicle around even when the RPM is registering zero and it's not cutting out before we then I do expect the crankshaft position sensor to be faulty because that would actually make the engine stutter sputter and die.It honestly seems more to me like the instrument cluster might just be faulty, but that generally won't set any kind of fault unless the fault is because the instrument cluster is no longer communicating.So correct me if I'm wrong but you're basically saying that this does not interfere with driving vehicle in any way other than your RPMs do not seem to match what the engine is actually doing? Like if you were to not be looking at the gauge cluster would you even be able to hear a difference in the motor when the gauge is showing that the RPM is very erratic?