UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have problem with power steering on A class, A170. I just…

Customer Question
Hi. I have problem...

Hi. I have problem with power steering on A class, A170. I just started the engine, everything seemed ok, then the battery lamp switched on, and my power steering was lost. I hit the ground earlier, when I was going on a bumpy road, but everything worked fine afterwards. The problem started after I had parked the car at home and when I started it again. What could be the problem? Cirquit break? Can not find any broken fuses.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

It`s consistent

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

2004

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am fixing it myself. I have cheked charging, it`s not charging at all. The drivebelt is not broken, there is no unusual sounds from the engine, and I have checked all the fuses.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: UK Car
There`s a fault code C1010
5/29/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: Lou P, UK Car Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Lou P
Lou P, UK Car Mechanic

Hello my name is Lou.
I am going over your request now and will reply back soon with some info OR a few questions, Lou

may i have your vin please?

WDB1681091J939434

thank you '

let me see what i can pull up

ok i dont have the access to the A class wiring here at work, but i do have a different system at home i can check in a few hours and get back with you.

can you access the back of the alternator and with the car off make sure the big cable on the back has the same voltage as the battery?

any wires underneath that got damaged?

i will return later to let you know if i found some info, if not i will release the question.

Lou

I can checkt it out tomorrow. Need to get the car up in the air to take a closer look. I will let you know what I find. Thanks

ok, same here as well, i will take a look over the wiring diagram, but i would imagine that there is a fuse that blew possibly that is called a prefuse and is not easily seen like the smaller fuses.

but also its possible that a communication line came loose or got damaged. so i will seee what i can do to help.

Lou

if I have to take the alternator out, do I need to lower the whole engine and gearbox in the frame, whitout disconnect hoses and cables? Can I lower it in only the back end? It seem like there`s lack of space to reach it.
I hope you understand what I meen, my english is not 100 % good.
We have checked all fuses, but they are all ok. But there's å white and brown wire, it's connected to AC pump, it has a damage. We are not able any other "faults"

ok, i am not having any luch finding a wiring diagram

let me opt out see if another can help

my apologies

Ok. I will take out the alternator and see what I can find out.
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 3 months ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello

another expert here

have you checked the fluid level in the pump reservoir?

I've attached an image of the reservoir but its driven off an electric pump and if you are low on fluid due to a leak or something similar then the power steering will stop working

There is no leaking. Would it affect the alternator if the oil leven is low? The battery lamp is ignited in the instrument panel.
there's a fault code C1010, low voltage, the car does not charge.

If the pump is really low on oil then it can sieze up but I'd expect it to blow the fuse before this happened or go into a thermal shutdown

and c1010 code just means the battery is low

if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement

And one last thing is – how old is the battery? – As even good quality ones need replacing every 5 years and faulty battery just won’t hold a charge

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Hi. Sorry the delay, just broke my leg and I'm in hospital. The car is fixed, the alternator/generator was the problem. I had it changed earlier this week. I do not need any more assistanse from you, thanks.

understood

if you wouldn't mind rating the advice please