UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a Opel/Vauxhaul Meriva A 2005 1.6 Z16XE that has a…

Customer Question
Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a Opel/Vauxhaul Meriva A 2005 1.6 Z16XE that has a constant ON MIL/CEL light. The related DTC is P0650-2 (MIL votage low). I can not find the root cause. Also the AC reports "outside Air temp low voltage" but I dot know if this is related.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Constant ON, no blinking

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 Opel?

MERIVA A

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Doing it myself. I disconnected and inspected the 2 big ECU conectors but could not find anything wrong like bent pins or corrosion. I also changed the ECU and the Immo as a set with used parts from ebay, but then the car would not start. Chenged everything back. The engine is running fine. In the beginning of the problem the MIL was only sort of "glowing" not really on. but after some weeks the MIL is full ON.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: UK Car
5/27/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 3 months ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

the P0650 code means there's a fault with the MIL light

its usually because of a blown bulb but as you have a light on its obviously not that

so either its a wiring fault to the dash or a problem with the ECU

Can you tell me how the car is driving with this fault? any lack of power or trouble accelerating?

as I suspect the next step should be to send the ECU off for testing / repair

Hello Matt, engine starts & runs just fine. Since I bought it I had the feeling it does not produce the 100HP, though. Could there be a relation to the "low voltage of the outside air temp? I just measured the voltage to the sensor and it reads 1,64V only. the sensor itself seems fine as it shows changing resistnace with changeing temperature

Hello

I'd agree that the low voltage to the sensor isn't right as it should be 5V all the time on the feed and then the signal will feedback to the ECU with varying voltage as the engine warms

usually the air temp effect on the fuel and spark isn't very strong though so it will have some effect but not a large one

the next step should be to chase the wiring back from the sensor to the ECU, checking for damage and corroded joints as you go. also check the condition of the small earth / ground wires that run out of the engine bay wiring loom and are secured to the engine with ring terminals. as its this connection that is for the ECU sensors