UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2007 merc e320 estate, battery is flat and the metal key fob…

Customer Question
2007 merc e320 estate...

2007 merc e320 estate, battery is flat and the metal key fob will not turn the drivers door lock to open, how can I get power to the car to use remot central locking to open it

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Car is currently locked so I cannot turn the steering wheel, dont know why key will not turn

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E320 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have sprayed wd40 into door lock, but no difference

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No just how to open the car without having to brake a window, thanks

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: UK Car
deposit paid
4/3/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 3 months ago
Peter Zavarelli

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Does the key turn in the trunk cylinder at all to try and open the trunk?

Is this a wagon or sedan model?

Let me know, thanks, Pete.

car is a wagon, unfortunately there is no key lock on the rear boot
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 3 months ago

O.k., since it is a wagon the battery is usually located under the rear passenger seat and in order to jump start it or recharge the battery or replace it the door has to be opened.Usually, the lubricant spray works that you have already done here and worked the key in the door lock cylinder will open the lock to open the door to access the battery itself.

I have had to work on turning the key back and forth several times in the past before to get it to unlock.In some cases, a lock smith company has had to come out and use their slim jim/door tools to slide down past the window into the door to manually unlock the door to then open it to access the battery.But unfortunately, these are the only ways to access the vehicle when the battery is flat.You can continue to try and work the key back and forth in the door lock to see if it eventually opens or contact a lock smith to come out with their tools to open it.

The reason the key doesn't work very well to unlock the door is the key is not used very often in the lock cylinder so the cylinder and mechanical rods to the lock corrode and bind causing this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete