UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a rattle noise which you can only hear at the front…

Customer Question
Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a rattle noise which you can only hear at the front of the engine at idle. It is an sl500 r230, it has only 38k miles. I have replaced top pulley tensioner and belt. I am thinking it sounds like bearing noise.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Front of engine, low down. Sounds like around water pump or crank pulley area. You can only hear it at idle when standing in front of the car.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your SL500?

2002 very tidy low miles. I recently replaced the belt pulley and tensioner as I was getting loud squeeling on cold start. This fixed the issue but a few weeks later I have noticed the rattle noise.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SL500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am thinking of running the engine without the belt to see if it goes away. If it is water pump or crank pulley I will need to take it to a garage.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that's it thanks

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 1 day by:
4/4/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: Shawn Few ,
 replied 5 months ago
Shawn Few

Hi , I see that your question has been sitting for a while and has not been answered ,I m sorry for your wait and I like to assist you on it , if you still have not had the issue resolved