UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Battery not charging and AA said it is the alternator. The…

Customer Question
Battery not charging and...

Battery not charging and AA said it is the alternator

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Yes the AA said the battery was ok

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Saab?

Saab 93 convertible registration NA56YNK

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I will have to take it to get repaired but I really need to know the cheapest way to have it done and can the alternator be mended

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: UK Car
4/2/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: Robert, UK Car Mechanic replied 5 months ago
Robert
Robert, UK Car Mechanic

Hi..there..

Ok..going by your registration you obviously have the 1.9tid engine which is essentially the same engine in vectra's badged as cdti.. its quite common for alternators to pack up on these.normally its the pulley itself being clutch type..but if the alternator isnt producing any voltage then it likely the regulator usually..so it doesnt make alot of sense these days to repair them..of course they arent cheapest to buy because it will be clutch type pulley on them..you'be at least around the £200-£250 for a new, unless you look around on ebay for slightly cheaper one,or you could go down the secondhand route but bearing in mind you may face the same issue again..depending on what engine it came off of mileage wise.... plus 20 quid roughly for a new belt of course too when the new alternator is installed..plus about 1hour and half fitting time..the job itself isnt that difficult..if you find a garage thats done them before.so its not unsual to see the job around £300 at least..the air box has to come out,the fuel filter housing has to moved or taken out..the rest is basically remove belt, remove lower bolt, in at the back of engine under HP fuel pump remove top bolt.remove wiring connections on the back..remove alternator by slipping it up around the back of the engine where fuel filter sat..then its reversal of removal...