UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have replaced steering angle censon. *censor. No i havent…

Customer Question
I have replaced steering...

I have replaced steering angle censon

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fluids?

*censor

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

No i havent checked fluids, what do i need to check?

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your BMW?

11/2003

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i am.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

What fluids do i need to check?

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 29 days ago
Peter Zavarelli

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Can you let me know what the fault is that is occuring on your vehicle here and what has been done to try and locate or correct this fault?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Hi,I have replaced the steering angle censor, and need to setup the steering wheel central position
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 29 days ago

Ok, no fluids need to be checked.I would disregard what the computer was telling you to check above.

Can you tell me what model vehicle this is and what year?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Bmw x5, 11/2003
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 29 days ago

Thanks for that screenshot

The steering angle sensor must be coded if it has been replaced. A steering angle offset for Electronic Damper Control/Dynamic Stability Control must then be carried out.This has to be done with a compatible computer or scan tool plugged into your model that can code the data for the sensor.

Connect vehicle to BMW diagnosis system or Software Service Station.This has to be done with a compatible BMW computer or scan tool.
Select and carry out steering angle sensor adjustment under Service functions.Once this is done you are all set.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Can i do it with bmw-scanner version 1.4 ?http://bmw-scanner.com/
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 29 days ago

Unfortunately, it does not look like that one will work.This requires a dealers computer or more higher-end computer made for BMW to perform this procedure.This has to be done to correct this here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Ok, damm.i have an transfer box issue too in same tester. called "oil abration" do you know what this is ?
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 29 days ago

I don't have the specifics on that one myself.You may have to open that as a new question here for others to see if they can help on the oil abration issue.It looks to be a fault in the transfer case itself mechanically from what I recall but I don't recall if the transfer case had to be replaced or if it could be repaired so your best is to open this up as a new question once you finish up this one here.

Thanks Pete

Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli