UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My car will not engage reverse gear. It is a 56 plate 107…

Customer Question
My car will not...

My car will not engage reverse gear. It is a 56 plate 107 about 70000 miles.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Everything was working fine. All forward gears perfect, no clutch slipping, no notch changes. When I try to engage reverse you can hear the gears trying to engage but the gearstick will not go back any further due to the center consul

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

Peugeot 107 5 door manual 56 plate.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 207 yourself? What have you tried so far?

It’s a 107 and yes I will be doing it myself. I am a military mechanic and this is the first 107 I have bought for my son.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I am just flumuxed with it. It has no tracks

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 4 days by:
3/31/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

The issue is either going to be an internal problem in the transmission or the linkage isn't able to move correctly with the shifter. The first thing that needs to be checked is the shifter linkage. If the cable bushings are worn at either the trans or shifter or there is something physically blocking the linkage at either end it can prevent the shifter from being able to properly move the linkage at the trans. It's possible that there could be a mechanical failure in the shifter but that's unlikely.

If you find the linkage is intact and you're also unable to move the linkage at the trans by hand and obtain reverse then the issue is an internal trans failure, it would need to be removed and disassembled to determine exactly how it has failed and what would need to be replaced.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.