UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I recently had the clutch replaced on my 12reg 2.0dci

Customer Question
I recently had the...

I recently had the clutch replaced on my 12reg 2.0dci trafic. The next day day i noticed a vibrating kind of noise, and now i havr Oops sorry Have noise on idle that dissappears when the clutch pedal is depressed. The garage who did the clutch reckon its the gearbox, but im not convinced Any ides's ?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the clutch? Has it been slipping or sticking?

Only about 50 when i noticed the vibrating noise and less than 100 when i noticed the noise at tickover

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '50 Renault?

Its the 2.0 DCI 115

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet, only got it from the garage Friday, after the clutch swap,so asked them to have a look this morning

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don't think so

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/26/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: Kevin, UK Car Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, UK Car Mechanic

Hi im kevin if noise wasnt there before clutch replacement its possible it was caused by their work .the fact the noise goes when clutch is depressed would point to a clutch plate or a release bearing issue .both these parts should have been replaced by them in the process of replacement .

Hi Kevin the slave cylinder was replaced. It appears that the slave cylinder is integral to a bearing. Is this the clutch release bearing?
If so,it was replaced as part of the clutch swap.
Is it therefore possible that the new bearing has already failed ?
I did see on a forum that gearbox oil or lack of could also be a possibility however, the oil is clean and appears to be at the correct level.
Thanks
Graham
A call would be good but currently not with the vehicle

Yes the release bearing is part of slave cylinder .it is possible that the gearbox is the issue but the only way to confrim is to again remove the gearbox and inspect what they have done .it may be that the parts fitted are bad and are causing the issue

Please remember to rate my service and let me know if you need anything else at all