UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My Defender is totaly dead, no power what so ever...

My Defender is totaly...

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consictent

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Defender?

I was installing dual batteries on it, no big deal Bur when I pus the power back on it was dead. Not even a spek on the battery. it's a 2004

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Defender yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am. Ihave measured the current up to the starter and alternator 12 volts

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

But the fuse box under the seat has no power.

3/24/2018
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

this sounds like 1 or more of the high power fuses in the D1 fusebox in the engine bay has popped

the box looks like the image and has a number of high power fuses in there

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I thought so too. I have checked all the fuses, they haven't poped. There's no power into the fuse box at all.

OK

in that case check the earth ' header' connection at the back of the engine bay

this is where a number of earths are all joined together

see here for earth locations and all the fuse information

https://www.landroverworkshop.com/electrics/defender-2002my/fuse-boxes-earths-and-headers

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I will check the earth header tomorrow. The confusing thing here is that I seem to have earth all the way but no plus Curran. I have measured all of the fuses in both boxes. They all work. But no current anywhere...
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Haven't checked yet, but I was thinking, what if I make a test with a wire from the positive pole on the battery directly to the in feed on the D1 fuses box? Could that cause harm to anything or could that tell us if the connection to it is broken?

Hello

running a feed wire direct to the battery is a good idea and won't hurt anything

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. I lade a direkt connection to the D1 infeed which gave me quite a short... see picture. The funny thing is. If I disconnect the cars positive connector from the battery and make the same connection, nothing happens. No short, no sign of life. BUT if I connect it to the negative feed to the D1 the car reacts... I can hear relays and humming. ...and I think I blew the 100A link fuse...
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ureeka! I found it! Thanks a lot, you pointed me in the right direction! I'm sooooooo stupid! The tube on the brown cable going from the battery to the D1 fuse box is black. Hence I connected it to ground! Damn, that was wrong! Once back on the positive pole and the car woke up. Now I'm going to connect my dual battery set up the right way. Damn, I'm stupid. Thanks!

Glad to have helped

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Matt, Mechanical Engineer