UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Difficult to get car into gear. No grinding just hard to get…

Difficult to get car into...
Difficult to get car into gear. No grinding just hard to get lever to engage the gear. 2000 astra reg X198CDC
3/23/2018
Robert
Robert, UK Car Mechanic

Hi..there..

I asume this occurs whether the engine is turn off or on?

Have you had any work carried out on the car prior to thsi problem?

Is it all gears?

Sorry so long in replying. The problem occurred after a mainly motorway run of 100 miles. I have used the car for several hours yesterdayon and it has been fine.
I am just using it locally for the time being as I dont want to be caught out on a long journey. Thanks for your response, there is nothing to do at the moment so I am just leaving the matter there.

Hi..there.. No problem...

Provided you do get all gears other wise inc reverse without any trouble..and your clutch isnt appearing to be slipping..then id say maybe the first thing would be checking here is the gear selector/arms, bushings at the gearbox end..sometimes if these start to stiffen up or sieze then they can make getting into and out of gear seem stiff..the selector part sits ontop of the gearbox..sometimes you have to get over the back of the engine and reach down..or better still remove the battery and then the battery holding tray..once thats out then you have good area to see ontop of the box..and just check the linkages and spray them with some wd-40 or similar lubricant..and then try the gears to see if they move any better....Other than that the only other thing is can think off could be the the oil in the gearbox..if its the same oil from 2000 when the car was new..then it could be worth looking at getting that changed obviously..normally cars that old would of had a new or twice in some cases .new clutch installed where new gearbox oil would of been added anyway..so its certainly a few things to look at ..id say start off with the linkages check them..and then try gearbox oil next if that does seem to work..if it still occurs..then obviously then next port of call would be see if the problem resides with the clutch release side of the assembly itself not releasing or dragging...hope this helps

Thanks thats very useful.

Your welcome... Please dont forget to leave a rating for me..much appreciated..

Robert
Robert, UK Car Mechanic