UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have locked my keys in the boot of my streetka. I have no…

Customer Question
Hi. I have locked...

Hi. I have locked my keys in the boot of my streetka

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?

I have no other keys. Do you have any solution other than breaking the boot lock?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

I don’t know the year. It’s a streetka

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Ford?

2004

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am just trying to get access to the boot without breaking the lock

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: UK Car
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/21/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 4 months ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

If the boot doesn't have an exterior lock then there should be a release in the small compartment between the seats, unfortunately you need a key to open the compartment and release the boot. The reason I ask this will become clear.

The easiest way to access the boot will be to obtain the key number from the original supplying dealer of the car whom should be stamped in the owners handbook.Have a new key cut and use this. If there is a lock barrel to open the boot either in the car (in the compartment between the seats) or outside you only need the small T type key to open it, if there isn't a lock to release then you'll need a remote key like the one locked in the car, you can then programme the remote fob to the car and open the boot with this (the key won't start the car unless you have it programmed in to the immobiliser system). To programme the fob is as follows,NOTE: A maximum of four remote transmitters can be programmed to the generic electronic module (GEM). Programming must be done at the same time for all the transmitters.NOTE: To enter programming mode, first make sure that the vehicle battery is fully charged and the anti-theft system is not armed or triggered (if equipped).Close all doors to make sure conflicting chimes do not sound during programming.Turn the ignition switch from position 0 to position II four times in six seconds.Turn the ignition switch to position 0.A chime sounds to indicate that the GEM is in the learning mode and it is possible to program remote transmitters.Press and hold one of the buttons on the remote transmitter until a chime sounds. This indicates a new transmitter code has been successfully received.After each successful programming, another 10 second learning mode is automatically entered, up to a maximum of four times.To program additional remote transmitters, repeat step 5.The system will leave the learning mode after the ignition switch is turned to position III, or if no new transmitter is programmed during the 10 seconds, or if four remote transmitters have been programmed.NOTE: An incorrect programming procedure does not affect the stored codes.After successful programming, only the new programmed transmitters will be accepted.Test all the programmed transmitters, by activating and deactivating the locking/unlocking functions.The remote key you had cut will turn the ignition on to allow the above procedure but as I said earlier it won't start the car.All the above is quite straight forward if you can obtain the key number from the original supplying dealer, this isn't always possible though.

Another option is to trigger the boot release motor at the connection to the GEM/locking control module.

This module is located on the drivers side up behind the dash fastened to the lower part of the "A" pillar, it has a label on it that identifies it as the alarm/locking module.

The wire you need is orange and black in the green connector, the connector is shown in the image, pin 1 is where the orange/black wire is

If you disconnect this connector and provide a 12 volt feed to this wire this will actuate the boot release motor. You can get a 12 volt feed from the fuse box in the car as this is very close to the locking module, make sure you get the correct wire. If the boot release doesn't operate make sure the soft top compartment lid is securely latched on either side.

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.

If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies

Thanks Matt

UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 3 months ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt