UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I've got a 63 plate 640d which i've had for about 12 months.

Customer Question
Hi, i've got a...

Hi, i've got a 63 plate 640d which i've had for about 12 months. it's been losing small amounts of coolant but has been pressure tested by a dealer without any issues?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles on the car? How has your mileage been lately?

Its done 35k, about 8k since i bought it last jan

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

Bmw 640d

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 640i yourself? What have you tried so far?

Its a 640d

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: UK Car
I would say that since Jan I've had to add 3-5 litres of coolant, i check ever 2-3 months and it drops from the max level to the min level. no evidence of any leaking in or around the car
Answered in 1 day by:
3/22/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 4 months ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

If you have a tiny pinhole leak in a radiator then these often don't leak water but will lose water as steam ( steam molecules being small enough to pass through the hole where liquid cannot) take a look on the rad for any signs of localised corrosion and for areas that look like they've been 'steam cleaned'.

If all of this is OK it may be worth replacing the header tank cap as again you can lose coolant as steam if this is blowing off too early ( the cap should hold pressure of around 1Bar)

The other thing to try is a head gasket / block test kit as these take a coolant sample and analyse it for any signs of combustion gas - if present this would indicate the head gasket is on its way out

http://www.uktools.com/block-tester-p-12508.html

and as a fix for internal leaks I’ve found this product works very well, without clogging heater matrixe’s

http://www.kalimex.co.uk/our-products/k-seal

it doesn’t last forever though

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.

If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies

Thanks Matt