UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have the engine serpent belt fractured, bit in the

Customer Question
I have the engine...

I have the engine serpent belt fractured , bit in the longetinal way, not in its width

Mechanic's Assistant: Which belt is acting up? And when was it last changed?

Not very ling time ago.. It is still loos new.. But should i be very very worried that i should not drive the car?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Toyota corolla 2.0 , year: 2001-2002

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing, the belt is still well working, as i said the belt is fractured but only in the direction of its length. not the width.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Another problem, oil is leaking, but the coolant is clean, and the the exhaustion. I refill oil all the time almost from 100km to another... travelling 3k km! The car is running just well.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: UK Car
3/21/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 6 months ago
Peter Zavarelli

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

If the belt is fractured to where it fractured all the way through this can lead to the belt pulling apart in a short amount of time as I have seen before.The pulley grooves need to be checked for any debris stuck in them as well as any damage to see if a pulley needs replaced to see if this caused the fracture.If the pulleys are all o.k. then the belt has failed prematurely due to being defective and the belt itself will need to be replaced to resolve this fault here.I do recommend doing this before driving it too far as the belt does have a chance or completely coming apart causing damage to engine components as it whips around the engine area when it does come apart.

As for the oil leak issue you will need to have the engine checked over to locate the source of the leak.This may be a valve cover gasket leak needing to be repaired or an issue with the engine oil pan leaking needing repaired but there are several other components that can fail and can cause this leak issue here needing to be corrected as well.In some cases, the engine has to be cleaned off then the oil topped off and the engine ran a short time then inspected to locate the exact source of the leak then repaired from there to resolve it.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete