UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

To you. 2008 Kia sorento, 2.5 turbo diesel automatic,

Customer Question
Good day to you. ...

Good day to you.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Kia?

2008 Kia sorento, 2.5 turbo diesel automatic, 150,000 km's.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?

My son was on the highway when the gearbox cut into neutral, engine lost power ingitionlights came on, and he coasted to a stop. Early indictactions by Bosch, edenvale, johannesburg are that the engine is toast, and while gearbox and transmission may have saved itself by kicking into neutral, a major strip and re-build may be required, or a re-placement engine found. If this is the case what engines would fit without extensive modifications?. vin number for the car is KNAJC521385818841. Dave Dowthwaite

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sorento yourself? What have you tried so far?

I purchased a warrantee with the car last year, Car was serviced in December of 2017, by RMI service centre , Bosch service, hillfox, Johannesburg. I don't know if my comprehesive insurance or the warrantee will help me financially.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, just sounds very expensive

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 2 days by:
3/23/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: Shawn Few ,
 replied 28 days ago
Shawn Few

Hi , I see that your question has been sitting for a while and has not been answered ,I m sorry for your wait and I like to assist you on it , if you still have not had the issue resolved

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Bosch removed the timing chain cover , on turning the motor over, crankshaft turned but no movement on the timing chain. Come to the conclusion that we either strip and end up the a repair cots for anything from big end bearings upwards, or look for a replacement Motor. I have found one in Pretoria for R 28000.00 Now I need to find some money to pay for it, and arrange for the engine swap.
UK Auto Mechanic: Shawn Few ,
 replied 27 days ago

Ok I understand , I m glad you got it figured out ,I m sorry it took long to answer back to you

that engine price sound reasonable to me compared to prices here in the U.S

If more help is needed, Please use the reply Tab to continue our conversation.

, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click here or above).

You can Rate at Any Time and we Can Continue to work on your question as This Will Not Close out your Question.

I work on delivering the best answer and help but in some cases,

It can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Shawn Few
Shawn Few
Shawn Few