UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2013 2lr S-Max, i have had car 14 months. Driving…

Hi, i have a...

Hi, i have a 2013 2lr S-Max, i have had car 14 months. Driving car 21 December 2018 the car started losing power and shuddering. Local Ford garage said transmission problem, they do not repair gearboxes a new one is £4000. Went to local garage they replaced auto trans module. After i had done 800mls it played up again,i took it back to garage, then to Fords for a diagnostic.They said new transmission £3795. The garage that replaced module said car worked fine for 800mls not their fault

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes,the car will drive in limp mode

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2013 with 44k

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have spoke to Ford in Brentwood pointing out car has low mileage and they have a lot of trans problems, they are ringing tom to let me know if they would assist with cost.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

On the Ford diagnostic printout they stated that if there was a problem with trans module,to suggest replacing gearbox at same time

3/19/2018
Peter Zavarelli

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

There were issues with the gearbox that could damage the transmission module as well.It was always best to replace both at the same time so one didn't cause issues with the other component if it was replaced like replacing the transmission/gearbox but not the module and having the module cause an internal problem with the gearbox itself.

Unfortunately, since it did drive 800 miles after the replacement they may not help with the costs but the dealer may be able to get the manufacturer to help with the costs to repair this completely to resolve this issue here.

I do recommend that if the gearbox needs replaced to also have the module replaced at the same time to prevent any future issues.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should

I received some of your post above.Can you reply with the rest of it or let me know if you need anything else?

Thanks Pete

Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli