UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Just brought a second hand Mercedes A16 class 2003 automatic…

Customer Question
Just brought a second...

Just brought a second hand Mercedes A16 class 2003 automatic and F faults has appear on dash - stays in gear mode will not go up to next gear mode

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Thanks for trying to help me Sorry can,t answer that one how could i find out?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '03 Mercedes?

A 160

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not fixing it myself - have looked briefly at troubleshooting issues on line - tried turning car on and off other than that at a lost im afraid - thought about contacting Mercedes garage for a diagnostic check

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just seems top be stuck in one gear mode - starts first time

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: UK Car
Appreciate you may be busy but still waiting for reply
Answered in 3 days by:
3/22/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 6 months ago
Peter Zavarelli

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

This indicates a fault with one of the components in the transmission/gearbox itself, unfortunately.This can be a fault with the shifter electronics or a shift solenoid or other transmission electronics at fault.There are several components that can cause this so it's difficult to say for sure from here what needs to be replaced.

What needs to be done from here is to have a scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicles data port to see what codes are set.Once this is done there will be at least one code set that will then need to be diagnosed to then locate and repair the fault.This can usually be done by most shops or a dealer to help to locate and repair this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete