UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have problem with Chevrolet Volt VIN: 1G1RB6E41CU116958…

Hello. I have problem with Chevrolet...
Hello.
I have problem with Chevrolet Volt VIN: 1G1RB6E41CU116958
Charging problem.
After plug in the charger to car the lights on charger are both green and the small lamp on windshield is turn on to yellow
not green and there is not horn. The yellow lamp is lighting about ten minutes and go out although on the charger has two green lights. Charger is 220V.
Thank you for help
3/19/2018
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Hello there,

Will the petrol engine startup?

What state of charge for your battery on the middle screen?

When did you drive last?

Gary

Hello Gary
My name is ***** ***** I am from Poland. I am car mechanic in my country and repair all cars and american too.
This is my clients car and I dont know to much about this electrical model. He tried to fix this problem with Opel dealer but they cant repair this problem.
Ok I will check everything you say.
Engine is working good and client still drive this car but he cant charge it from DC.
I didnot drive this car yet. Now car is staying in garage but if You wont I can make test drive.
I will go to check middle screen and tell you what I see

Hi Maciej,

It is good we can talk on the same level here, I'm glad of your good english.

As the repairer, please be very careful, as these cars have high voltages that can KILL.

Opel and Chevy techs need special training for these cars.

I'll look at your photos and come back shortly.

Gary

This yellow lamp goes out after 5 to 10 min

Is it really -3c where you are now?

Has the owner tried connecting to a public fast charging station?

What did the dealer say, what do they think is wrong?

Gary

No I am sure that he dont tried to connect a public charging station
Dealer said that he dont now where is the problem. Probably they did not have a training. We have in europe Opel Ampera ( the same car) but nobody buy it
What does it mean -3c

To me the -3C is outside air temperature, is that how cold it is in your workshop?

I see the owner has driven nearly 1800km in this state, battery 0km, petrol only.

So the vehicle is not charging the battery either.

Do you have a Vauxhall dealer near you?

Gary

Yestarday was sunday and we didnot work. Now we have in garage about 12 celsius.
Car still show -3c probably temperature sensor is bad working
I have Opel dealer near me we can connect scanner if you need.

Looks like it has a few faults.

Hopefully your local Opel dealer will see what is wrong.

I really hope it is not a fault on the high voltage side, including the battery.

Gary

I need some times. I will go to my friends (mechanics) in dealer (we live like familly in our brand)
Make a test with scanner and after thar will contact you
Maciej

Ok, they need a laptop with GM GDS-2, an MDI etc.

I'll hear back from you in a day or two.

Gary

On this photo are codes when we conected scanner
After that we clear codes and some codes stay
The Air bag code is not important for me now

A little difficult for me while it is in Polish.

A few of your codes point to the hybrid battery.

The B0017 points to knee airbag, but further diagnosis required.

Here is the GM VOLT website forum:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?273145-Service-Airbag-Lights

There are many threads on here about VOLT.

Gary

B0017 is not important now

The VOLT would be the most complex GM vehicle I know.

Strange for the dealer to not know what is going on here.

They should be addressing the DTCs that are stored in order.

The outside temp error may be something to do it.

If it has the original battery, it may have an internal problem with one cell or more .

Gary

You think that the battery is to change?
Do you have information about this codes. Can you send it to me if possible
P1E00
P0D4F
P0D26

Here is some more info:

https://www.tapatalk.com/topic/90918-gm-volt-com/251033-p1e00-code-and-service-high-voltage-charging-system

Have you checked the battery coolant level?

There are two coolant header tanks in the engine bay.

Here is the Diagnostic Instructions

1. Verify that DTC P0D39–P0D3B, P0D49, P0D4E, P0D4F, P0D53, P0D54, P1ECB–P1ECD, P1ED0–P1ED2, P1ED6–P1ED9, P1EDB, P1EDC, P1EDE–P1EE1, P1EE3, P1EE5, P1EE7–P1EED, P1EFE–P1F02, or P1F14–P1F16 is not set.
    • If any of the DTCs are set

Replace the T18 Battery Charger.

• If none of the DTCs are set

All OK

Here is a thread on P0D26:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?42513-Chirp-Chirp-Chirp-Check-Engine-(P0D26)

Gary

Hi Gary. Sory for my quiet
Yesterday I half day tried to find some charger to my Volt. Big problem because in my citi are arother standards. I forgot that myneibor has Nissan Leafe. Today I have checked my Home charger. My charger I tried in his car and it working. His charger in my car not working.
The problem is in my car
What schould I do now?
Could you give me prompt
I think that the battery is not bed because engine and brakes can charge minimum

Hi Customer,

A little difficult now, because it a major issue, that only a VOLT dealer will fix.

Your last dealer involved here are a certified VOLT dealer?

Gary

Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Hi Gary I think that I found the problem with my Volt
Look at this photo

Wow, that's not a good look.

What is the red wire cur and hanging?

What's with all the sealant?

Gary

This is master rebuilded.
I told my client that I can fix this problem but I have to buy new module and wires.
Then reprogram it and should be everithing good

Yes ok.

I wonder why your dealer couldn't fing this.

I hope you can get one.

I think you may need the dealer to do the programming.

Gary

I will be back soon and explain you what happend. What dealer did

Ok, I'll leave it with for now.

Gary

Hello Gary.
I am waiting for the parts to my Volt.
Client bought the module ( used ) himself.
I am waiting for wires from USA.
Look at the pictures what I found

I don't see your photos, can you send them again?

Gary

Ah yes, I saw your first photo.

Yes some sloppy work there.

Hope you can do a better job.

Gary