UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My auto Sebring does not want to crank the engine and it…

Customer Question
My auto Sebring does...

My auto Sebring does not want to crank the engine and it looks like the is no power to petrol pump. What could be a problem?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

It just went dead since then it does not want to start although you can see that there is power on the speedo meter. Its like the power does not go through the starter and something is cutting the power.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Sebring?

2007

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sebring yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not done anything yet but just check basics.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Someone said maybe it can be the gearbox not transmitting the information to where it should, is that true?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: UK Car
3/19/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 4 months ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand by using a socket on the crank pulley nut, so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch/ pushing the start button to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch/ starter button so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.

If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies

Thanks Matt

UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 3 months ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Good day again. The battery in this case is not a problem I towed a car to the dealer they confirmed a problem to be the gearbox so I feel not helped arccodingly and would like to cancel the membership with you.
Thanks

understood

you will need to get in touch with customer service

http://ww2.justanswer.co.uk/en-gb/help