UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a C230 kompressor 1999, it was running fine when

Customer Question
Hi: I have a C230 kompressor...
Hi:
I have a C230 kompressor 1999, it was running fine when suddenly lost acceleration at all but iddle works fine, look with OBD scanner and there is no DTC, then i look at the k40 and i have to take off the 4th fuse (15A) at the k40, i restart the engine and there is acceleration again, but everytime i tried to apply the 4th fuse there's no acceleration at all but it starts fine and iddle is fine. What could be causing acceleration lost?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 4 days by:
3/22/2018
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 4 months ago
Peter Zavarelli

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

This can be due to a fault with the accelerator pedal itself.It has a position sensor and it can fail to cause this issue here with the pedal assembly needing to be replaced.Now some of these models had an accelerator pedal cable that ran from the pedal to the actuator under the hood.If this one has the cable attached then the actuator under the hood can fail instead needing to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Hi Pete, why i have to take off the 4th fuse at the K40 and the accelerator runs again ?
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 4 months ago

This sounds like you are resetting the electronics when you do this which is then allowing it to run properly until the fault occurs again.This can reset electronics or will pull power when this is done to allow operation with it removed or removed and reinstalled.

The biggest issue I have seen is the accelerator pedal sensor or accelerator pedal actuator causing this type of fault here.

Thanks Pete

Ok, you talked about a pedal actuator and accelerator pedal sensor, are those the same component in this car model or they are different?
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 4 months ago

They are different components.It all depends on how yours is set up.

If you look above the gas pedal if it has a sensor with an electrical connection then it is just the pedal sensor system with the pedal as the cause usually needing to be replaced.

If you look above the accelerator pedal and there is an actual cable attached to it then the cable leads to a throttle actuator located in the engine area.This actuator can fail to need to be replaced.

So it will have one or the other here not both.

Thanks Pete

Ok i have just looked above the pedal accelerator and it has a cable that goes to a sensor part item(###) ###-#### supposed i will replace this with a new one, do i have to make a reset or relearning process in order the ECU recognize the new one?
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 4 months ago

You will need to have a throttle actuator relearn performed once it is replaced.This is done with a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your model that can access the engine computer to do this relearn.

Thanks Pete

It is neccesary to relearn with a tool? I have found this steps can you tell me if this is right:
Turn the key to ON position. Position II that is. Don’t start the car.Press and hold the gas pedal for at least five seconds. Keep the pedal pressed.Turn ignition off but do not remove the key. Now release the gas pedal.
Remove key. Wait a minute before you restart your Mercedes.
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 3 months ago

That procedure should work as well.I have heard of it before but have not tried it myself as I have always had the tool handy.

Thanks Pete