UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My engine warning light has come on and I drove home fine…

My engine warning light...

My engine warning light has come on and I drove home fine but I need the car later and am not sure whether to drive it or not. The original problem was lack of acceleration from 5-6th gear but otherwise engine sounded fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

On the display it said engine failure hazard, the engine outline, a spanner and stop all lit up

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Renault?

2013 2 litre tdi I think? Diesel coupe

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Coupe?

2013

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Coupe yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not done anything yet, tried to ring my local Renault but the service section is shut. I have just got it home and parked

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that is it thanks - it drove 5 miles after the lights came on with no problem though I stuck in 4th gear and below

3/17/2018
Greg
Greg, Shop Owner

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Hi .

When any Warning light Comes "ON" when the engine is running then this means your
Engine ,transmission and other management system has found a malfunction with in its system.

Now what you have to do is have your Vehicle hooked up to a diagnostic scan tool .

This scan tool will be able to check and find any malfunction within all the operating systems.

If your engine is still running good and no misfire the check engine light will be on solid You can drive until you have time to get to a service shop .

If engine is having a problem and is misfiring the check engine light will flash, flashing engine light means you must get assistance as soon as possible as catalytic converter damage may be caused .

In your case you are good to drive and use your car until you find time to get to the Dealer .

For further assistance with this issue please get back to me with the reply box below .
This is not a one answer and done i will stay with you until the problem is sorted out .
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 3 to 5 stars at the top of your page, i'm not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with you unless you leave positive feedback.
Before rating 1 to 2 stars please get back to me as i'm here to help you, if i can't or you think i can't i will opt out or you can opt me out so another expert can.
I want to help you with your problem and make you a happy motorist
Rgds Greg

I am dropping the car off at the dealer tomorrow so will let you know the response. I will rate you then

Yes please do so and up date me what they find with the diagnostic scan .

Kind regards Greg

Greg
Greg, Shop Owner